Director of Events and Stewardship
The Development Department at Bishop O’Dowd High School engages and cultivates alumni, parents, past parents, friends, corporations and foundation to advance the vision and mission of the school. The department invites the O’Dowd community to provide support in the form of volunteer leadership and philanthropic support for the school’s students, faculty and programs. The department seeks a director of events to provide leadership and direction in the planning and execution of high quality events, including two fundraising events which raise a combined $750,000. The role also serves as staff liaison to the school’s parent association group and oversees the department’s stewardship program.
Founded in 1951, Bishop O'Dowd High School is a Catholic college preparatory high school serving 1,250 diverse students in grades 9-12 who come from all parts of the East Bay and beyond. Informed by Catholic values, the mission of O'Dowd is to educate and inspire its students to build a more just, joyful, and sustainable world. For more information, visit the school's website at www.bishopodowd.org.
• Guides and implements fundraising and planning timelines for key events working in close collaboration with Development colleagues and volunteers
• Manages parent volunteer committees, including recruiting and succession planning, for the school’s two large fundraising events, Transforming Lives Dinner and the Crab Feed and Auction
• In partnership with Chief Development Officer, develops event programs, speakers and special guest opportunities
• Prepares event budgets and financial reports; accountable for staying within or under budget and meeting revenue goals
• In partnership with Communication colleagues and volunteers, manages all event-related marketing strategies and communications, vendor relationship and venue responsibilities
• Working with volunteers and development colleagues, secures sponsorships and donations for events
• Manages a comprehensive stewardship calendar which coordinates efforts across the department
• Serves as an advisor and support to Development Department colleagues for their events, providing expertise and help with venue, catering, registration, etc.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Chief Development Officer
• Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of 3 years of events/fundraising experience preferred
• Working knowledge of principles and practices of event planning and production including vendor management, audio/visual systems, day-of timelines, budget tracking processes, etc.
• Ability to motivate and manage diverse teams of volunteers
• Demonstrates sound judgement, effective decision-making and problem resolution skills
• Ability to work well under pressure, be flexible and collaborate with others
• Excellent planning and communication skills
• Great attitude and willingness to assist when needed
• Detail oriented with proven ability to multi-task and stick to strict deadlines
• Solid aptitude with Microsoft Suite, G Suite, fundraising and auction software
• Available for evening and weekend activities with advance notice
Pre-employment background screening is required for all positions.
For more information on Bishop O’Dowd High School, please see our website at: http://bishopodowd.org.
Bishop O’Dowd High School is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in its employment policies and procedures. It follows the Diocese of Oakland's policies prohibiting illegal harassment, retaliation or discrimination. However, as a Roman Catholic high school with a stated mission, goals and objectives that clearly reflect the teachings and educational philosophy of the Diocese of Oakland, Bishop O’Dowd High School reserves the right to require all current and prospective employees to commit to carry out their duties and responsibilities in a manner that clearly and unconditionally demonstrates support of and respect for the school’s mission and Catholic identity. Persons who in good conscience are unable to agree to this commitment should not seek or accept employment at Bishop O’Dowd High School.
As a faith-based institution, we reserve the right to use religion as a criterion in hiring decisions, as permitted by law, as it relates to performing essential job duties.
Please submit a resume and cover letter for consideration.
Your application was submitted successfully.